Everybody who knows us is well aware that we are big fans of well engineered small speakers. Our recent favorites include the Penaudio Rebel3, Penaudio Cenya, Dynaudio XEO3, and now the new limited edition KEF LS50 which is being introduced in celebration of KEF’s 50th anniversary. According to KEF, the LS50 pays homage to KEF’s classic LS3/5a mini-monitor, which has seen widespread use since the 1960s. But much has been learned over the past 50 years and KEF bestowed it’s modern classic with the latest technological advancements.
KEF’s trademark Uni-Q driver covers the full range of sound from low bass (47 Hz) all the way up into ultrasonic territory (45 hKz). This latest incarnation of the Uni-Q driver features a damped Mg/Al alloy metal low/mid frequency cone and a rear-vented high frequency driver to provide enhanced clarity, definition and three dimensional imaging from speaker that’s just shy of a foot tall.
How’s it look? Stunning! The LS50’s cabinet is finished in a gorgeous high gloss piano black with a rose gold-colored Uni-Q driver on the front. The cabinet features constrained layer damping to reduce resonances compared to traditional designs, while the baffle has been optimized for smooth on- and off-axis dispersion and to reduce unwanted cabinet resonance.
KEF LS50 Specifications:
- Design: Two-way bass reflex
- Drive units Uni-Q driver array:
- HF: 25mm (1in.) vented aluminum dome
- MF: 130mm (5.25in.) magnesium/aluminum alloy
- Frequency range: 47Hz – 45kHz (-6 dB)
- Frequency response: 79Hz – 28kHz (+/- 3 dB)
- Crossover frequency: 2.2kHz
- Amplifier requirements: 25 – 100 W
- Sensitivity: 85dB (2.83V/1m)
- Harmonic distortion: 2nd & 3rd harmonics (90dB, 1m): <0.4% 175Hz-20kHz
- Maximum output: 106dB
- Nominal impedance: 8 ohms (min. 3.2 ohms)
- Weight: 7.2 kg (15.8 lbs.)
- Dimensions with terminal (H x W x D): 302 x 200 x 278 mm (11.9 x 7.9 x 10.9 in.)
- Finish High gloss piano black cabinet
- Price: $1499.99/pair